Choosing A Good Heating Contractor: Five Questions To Ask
Posted: June 15, 2020
When it comes time to hire a heating contractor in Rhode Island for an installation, routine maintenance, or a repair, you need to know how to separate the reliable options from the here today-gone tomorrow candidates. The question is, how do you do that?
To find the right heating contractor, you need to ask the right questions.
5 most important questions for heating contractors:
- Do you have a license and proof of insurance? Ask your prospective heating contractor for the license number and look it up. Try to choose contractors who are certified by North American Technician Excellence (NATE). Many NATE members are also affiliated with ENERGY STAR, which approves energy-efficient appliances.
- How long have you been in business? The heating industry is full of independent, unlicensed, and inexperienced operators – protect yourself! Ask for proof about any claims your potential contractor makes, and remember: experience matters.
- Do you provide a written estimate? Insist on a written bid detailing the work to be done, the anticipated time to complete the job, and all costs associated with the work, including labor, replacement parts, etc.
- Can you show me references? A good word from a trusted source is important information to take into account when looking for a heating contractor. Ask for testimonials from past customers, including reviews from reputable services like Google and the Better Business Bureau. If your candidate can’t provide references, it’s probably best to move on.
- Do you guarantee your work? – A good heating technician will stand by his work. Ask for a no-nonsense, written statement about the work they intend to complete and the terms of warranty that cover it. Also: make sure the work your contractor will do does not accidentally void existing warranties on your equipment!
If you need a qualified heating technician to maintain or repair your oil-fired equipment (or install an equipment upgrade), you’re in good hands with Vaughn Oil. All of our technicians are licensed, NATE-certified, and insured – and most have more than 20 years of experience fixing heating oil systems of all kinds.
For expert heating installations and service in RI for your oil-fired equipment, trust the pros at Vaughn Oil. Contact us today to learn more!