Five Benefits of an Oil-Fired Central Heating System
Posted: January 20, 2020
More than 8 million smart homeowners and home builders across the country – especially here in Rhode Island and the rest of New England – continue to make heating oil their fuel of choice for their central heating systems.
Here are five reasons that make an oil-fired central heating system a great way to heat your RI home, particularly when compared to electric- or natural gas heating systems:
- It’s safe – Home heating oil can be ignited only by an advanced burning system in your oil burner or furnace. In fact, if you dropped a lit match in your oil tank (don’t try it!), it would go out as if you dropped it in water. Heating oil can never explode the way natural gas can.
- It’s clean-burning – Today’s oil heat is 95 percent cleaner than in 1970, and new oil heating systems produce almost no soot, dirt or odor. In fact, one BTU of heat produced by a new and properly serviced oil heating system releases fewer pollutants – and less carbon monoxide – than one BTU produced by natural gas.
- It’s energy-efficient – New oil heat boilers and furnaces range from 83 to 95 percent efficient – a big reason why upgrading your heating oil equipment to a more energy-efficient system can lower your energy costs by up to 30 percent compared to electrical heating systems.
- It’s cost-effective – With a higher BTU output than any other fuel source, plus longer-lasting equipment and lower maintenance fees for oil-fired heating systems, you’ll get more heating bang for your buck with heating oil in the long run than you’ll get from a natural gas or electricity-based heating system. When adjusted for inflation, the cost of the heating oil is actually cheaper than it was 30 years ago – another big win for heating oil as a home energy source.
- It works! – Oil-heated homes are comfortable even during the coldest Rhode Island winter days because heating oil quickly burns at 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit – far higher than the heat generated by electric heat pumps.
Want to learn more about the benefits of oil-fired central heating for your new (or new to you) RI home? Contact the oil heat pros at Vaughn Oil today!