Nine Factors That Affect Furnace and Heating System Installation Cost
Posted: December 18, 2018
If you’re about to invest in a new heating oil furnace or heating system for your Rhode Island home, congratulations – today’s state-of-the-art, high efficiency heating equipment will be a substantial upgrade from a decade-old system, even if it has been well maintained.
When it comes time to get down to brass tacks on getting price on a professionally installed heating system, you’ll want to know how to compare apples to apples, since (if you’re smart) you’ll be talking to several contractors.
Here are nine key things that will affect the price of your central AC or HVAC system:
- House size – Furnaces come in many sizes, and right sizing your furnace to your home’s heating load is one of the most important efficiency details. Make sure estimates compare units of similar BTU output.
- Ductwork – Does your price quote include ductwork (including parts and labor) or not? Replacing ductwork can easily add several thousand dollars to the cost of an HVAC / heating system installation.
- Type of equipment – There are a relatively limited number of reputable furnace brands, but some are more expensive than others. The key is to find the one that offers you the best performance within your budget range.
- Features – Do you need zone heating? An indoor air quality add-on like a whole house humidifier or dehumidifier? Each of these features will add cost to your system.
- AFUE rating – The Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency rating of your furnace will also affect its price.
- Project difficulty – Are you trying to install a heating system in a home with spaces or wide-open access? Do you have blown-in or fiberglass insulation? Do you live in a “character home” where want to preserve certain features that will require “workarounds”? All of these factors will affect the amount of time and materials a contractor will need to do the job right – and time, of course, means money.
- Warranty – Any reputable heating contractor will stand by their work – but some will do it for longer and more completely than others. At Vaughan Oil, we guarantee our heating system installations for one year. If our work doesn’t meet your expectations within a year of the initial installation, we will remove the heating system free of charge and refund every penny you paid.
- Specials – Manufacturer and installer specials can reduce costs of a new heating system – sometimes substantially. Make sure you ask about every available discount for the equipment you are targeting.
- The quality and experience of the contractor – Many of today’s heating system installation companies are here today, gone tomorrow outfits. You may pay less for their services in the short run, but as with many things in life, you get what you pay for in the long run. Look for licensed, bonded contractors who give detailed estimates, can provide references, and have been around at least 10 years.
It’s great to take a plunge on a new oil-fired furnace or heating system – just look before your leap! Contact Vaughn Oil today for a FREE estimate on a smart and affordable heating solution for your Rhode Island home.