Seven ways to save on your heating oil bills this winter
Posted: December 3, 2018
Winter can bring some unexpected (and unwanted) billing surprises to your mailbox – particularly when we get a sudden cold snap like we got here in Rhode Island a few weeks ago.
Want to keep those surprises to a minimum? Here are some suggestions taming your heating bills in the months to come.
- Use your programmable thermostat. When it comes to bang-for-your-buck money saving solutions for the heating season, few measures can keep up with using your programmable thermostat effectively. Use your thermostat to drop temperatures by 7-10 degrees for eight hours a day (when no one is home, or when people are asleep, for example) and you will save yourself about 10 percent on your bills with no loss in comfort. You can expect the same savings if you drop the overall temperature in your house by three degrees throughout the day (target 68 degrees to balance comfort and energy savings during the winter months).
- Close off empty rooms. Why pay to heat a space that no one uses? Close vents and doors in rooms that are underutilized, or use zone controls to “spend” your heat wisely.
- Get preventative maintenance. Get your oil-fired furnace or boiler serviced every year and you’ll reduce the typical five percent drop in efficiency that typically happens when you skip an annual maintenance.
- Cut down on air leaks. Heat escapes from all parts of your home: through your walls, roof, windows – even through your floors and electrical outlet boxes. Installing proper insulation and weatherizing your Rhode Island home are critical steps to reducing the load on your heating system. Check out this link for some great air sealing tips.
- Use your windows wisely. Windows can help or hinder your attempts to heat your home; leave them uncovered during the day to soak up that free solar heat, then insulate the room with curtains at night to keep that hard-earned heat in.
- Consider sensible upgrades. Even a well maintained furnace or boiler will have a hard time competing with new high-efficiency heating equipment when it comes to keeping you warm for less money. In fact, you could save as much as 30 percent on your annual fuel costs when you invest in a high-efficiency heating system upgrade – enough to offset the cost of a new heating unit in just a few years, especially when you consider incentives and manufacturers rebates.
- Sign up for Smart Pay or Smart Pay Plus from Vaughn Oil – With our Smart Pay budget plans, you will know exactly what you’re going to pay every month without unwanted heating oil “sticker shock.” Learn more about Smart Pay and Smart Pay plus here, or contact us to sign up today.
Keep heating bills under control with quality high-efficiency heating equipment installation and expert heating system service from Vaughn Oil. Contact us today to learn more!