Five Ways to Avoid Home Heating Problems This Season
Posted: October 4, 2018
Well here we are in early October, and so far the weather gods have been kind to us here in Rhode Island – but as we New Englanders know, that won’t last for long (did you know that the city of Odessa in Ukraine has similar weather to Providence? Neither did we, until we wrote this blog).
Anyway, the takeaway here is that cold weather is coming, and it’s coming fast – which means it’s best to be prepared for whatever cold weather problems might come to your oil-heated home. Here are five ways to do that:
- Update your contact information with us – Please make sure we have your correct contact information so we can get in touch if we need to – and please keep OUR contact information somewhere handy in the event of a heating system problem or power outage (our number: (401) 400-4080). It also helps if you like us on Facebook, where we post severe weather announcements and much more.
- Prepare an emergency plan – Fall is the perfect time to write or revise an emergency preparedness plan for your home and family in the event of severe weather or a safety issue in your home. For tips on writing one, visit www.ready.gov/make-a-plan.
- Keep your filters clean – If you have a forced air system (a home heating system with vents and a furnace), check your filters one a month during heating season, cleaning or replacing them if necessary. Clogged filters make your furnace work harder than it should to warm your home and could eventually lead to a heating system breakdown.
- Sign up for FREE automatic delivery – Fuel run-outs are an inconvenient and potentially dangerous problem: extinguished pilot lights can be a safety hazard, and a no-heat emergency is no fun. But you can avoid all of those headaches by signing up for FREE Automatic Heating Oil Delivery from Vaughn Oil. With Automatic Delivery, you’ll also get priority service during cold snaps – a big advantage over Will Call delivery.
- Service your equipment – Annual preventative maintenance for your oil-fired heating system can keep it running more reliably and more efficiently; it can also help technicians to spot small issues before they turn into costly problems down the road. About four out of five heating system repairs are the result of preventable conditions, so make sure not to skip your service call!
Follow these tips to keep your heating season as uneventful as possible! But if things get “exciting,” don’t worry – Vaughn Oil has you covered with expert service and emergency repairs for your heating oil-fired system. Contact us today to learn more.